I’m not sure this is actually a good thing. my whole body is shaking.
Cataloging is my only solace
“Wow, those fish are super dead. I still like you, though.”
hyperbole is back. and when i say “back”, i mean “still so fucking awesome”.
this is problematic for a number of reasons:
myself my cat a new basket.
Weeding Tips from Rebecca Vnuk
If you’ve ever wondered about any of these questions:
- What can we do with weeded copies?
- We have a professor who is adamant about keeping all of the books in his subject area, even though they do not circulate. What do we do?
- In a library without subject experts, how do we identify the classic or landmark books in a subject that we would want to keep?
- Do you have any advice on how to weed a reference collection down to fit in a smaller space?
- Can you learn to love weeding?
- If a book is 10 years old and hasn’t circulated recently, is giving it one last chance (on an endcap or display) justified?
- How do you maintain fiction series or complete collections of an author’s work?
- How do you justify weeding to a patron when they complain your budget is going up?
Or my personal favorite: My staff members do not want to weed ANYTHING. Help!
Then your search is over! Click through to read more!
I love this article, I love Rebecca Vnuk and the Shelf Renewal blog, and I love talking about weeding, but this really threw me for a loop:
“Can you learn to love weeding?”
Are there people out there who really don’t love weeding? I mean, I know that sometimes I might enjoy weeding a little too much, but I have never not liked it. I totally do it when I’m stressed and need some therapeutic time out in the stacks. It’s like a cleansing ritual.
weeding is my favorite activity. I have an ongoing daydream of starting a library weeding consulting company so my life can be all weeding all the time.
Who are these people who don’t love weeding? Can I have their jobs?
We’re about to undergo a major scale down/remodeling (yay budget cuts!) and I’ve been asking on a weekly basis when they’ll start letting me weed. I’ve got my criteria outlined and everything. Let me at the books!
GPOY twice a day, every damn day. I need a